Saturday 27 June 2015

Love Always Wins

It's been a long time since I posted anything on this blog, but I've been thinking about bringing it back to life for a while now. Today is that day. And today is that day because I want to share my two cents on this whole thing about Marriage Equality

I watch my Facebook news feed and I feel proud, proud to be European, proud that I have so many people in my life that believe in love. Because love is what this is all about. It has nothing to do with God, Allah, Buddha or whatever you believe in, and it has nothing to do with politics. At least not if we get to the core of things, into the depth of it. When we dig deep we find that it is all about feelings. It is about feelings of love; for the people that want to marry the person they love that happens to have the same gender. It is about feelings of love for the people who support those people. It is about love and belief in that everybody is equal on this earth.

I see my Facebook wall fill up with colourful profile pictures to celebrate the decision that same-sex marriages are now legal all over the United States. And I feel proud to be European. Because 99 % of those colourful profile pictures are European. A few are Canadian, or Australian, but very few are American. I am proud I am European. And yes, for obvious reasons I have a lot of European friends, but I have a lot of American friends too, maybe even more than European.

I believe in every person's right to believe what they believe even when it doesn't line up with my views or beliefs. I am not saying that one is right and the other is wrong. If it works for you, please, go with it. If it makes you happy, you can believe whatever you want to. This is a right we have in most parts of the world. The right to believe in whatever we want to believe.

The same goes for the rights to think whatever you think about same-sex people getting married. you have the right to believe what you believe. Isn't that a fantastic feeling to know that?

Now, the way I see it this is all about love. Love for one another. Love for life. Love for a person, or love for people in general. To me there is only one kind of love, the unconditional kind. If you truly love someone you do it unconditionally. If you have conditions for loving someone it is not true love. Loving one person or loving people in general makes no difference. It is not love if you have conditions.

If you say you love people, as long as they are straight, or as long as they believe in what you believe in, you do not love people, you love your opinions.

If you say you have nothing against homosexuals, but you don't believe they should be allowed to marry each other, you have something against homosexuals, and you don't love people - you have conditions, and love comes without conditions.

If you love someone, no matter who that person is, you want that person to be as happy as can be. Even it breaks your heart the happiness of someone you love is what matters. If you love someone you support them in what they want even if it doesn't line up with what you believe or want.

Because love is unconditional, otherwise it is not love.

Now, even if you do not agree with me, I am not going to stop loving you. Even if you believe in a God, and I don't, I don't judge you. You believe in what you want, and I believe in what I want. Even if I don't want to marry someone of my own sex, I think that you should have the right to if you want to, or I should have the right to if I want to. Even if I am white, female, straight, European, non-religious, meat-eater and short doesn't mean I do not love you because you're not. You can be green, transgender, an alien, have 54 gods, eat only seeds and be shorter or taller than me. I simply do not care. I can still love you. I will still love you in general until I get to know you in person, then I will love you specifically.

I have been watching my Facebook news feed shine with all the colours of the rainbow today, and I do not know why but it's been mainly the Europeans painting my world. Maybe it is too sensitive for Americans to show their support, I do not know.

All I know is that it is about love, and that true love is unconditional.

No matter who you are, what you believe in, or who you love I urge you to think about what makes you you. My belief is that it is how you love that makes you you.

Do you have conditions, or do you love unconditionally? That is the big question here. Do you hide behind a religion, or fear of the unknown? Then you do not trust in true love, or you do not understand what true love is.

Take a leap of faith, not in a God, or in a political view, but in love.

Believe in love. Unconditional love. Because unconditional love always wins.


Love//Carina



No comments: