Sunday 16 June 2013

Setting myself up for success!

"I've never tried that before, so I'm sure I can do it" - Pippi Långstrump (Pippi Longstocking)/Astrid Lindgren

This is one of my absolute favourite quotes, said by one of my childhood role models, Pippi, who was created by one of my writer role models, Astrid. Pippi is a strong, independent girl who do things her way, no matter what everybody else thinks. I related to that even as a little girl. I felt drawn to it. (I also related to Pippi because her dad, who she adored and loved more than anything, wasn't there with her very often. Although he was always on her mind. Much like it was with me and my dad. It was safe to know that if Pippi could handle it, so could I.)

I took this a few weeks ago, on my way home from work. This is part of my
success. In the front is some beach art, part of someone else's success! 
"I've never tried that before, so I'm sure I can do it". 

Isn't this the way we should be thinking? I think so. Instead we are somehow, and for some reason, more often than not taught to think quite the opposite. "I've never done that before, so I don't think I can do it". Isn't that the way you think in a lot of situations facing something new? I know I do. I know that it is usually my first reaction if put in front of a new task. I have had to re-teach myself. I am still re-teaching myself. I am a work in progress, as is my life.

Take this blog as an example. When I first started to think about starting a blog, this voice kept telling me that "you've never done that before so you will not be able to pull it off", and "why would anybody ever read your blog, you've never written anything big or important before". Well, I did start the blog and in the (soon-to-be) 2 years that have past since I have had almost 29 000 visits. Far from all of them have taken much notice of it, but then again, neither have I really. Why haven't I? Because I've never done it before, so I was sure I wasn't going to be able to do it. Or my move to Spain! If I had kept thinking like I used to think I wouldn't be living what in a lot of ways is my dream life.

But, times are changing, I am changing, and here I am with visions, dreams and hopes for this blog, and my life. And I am starting to believe that because I have never tried this before, I am sure I can do it! I mean, nobody can tell me I can't because no one can know. So I am thinking that I can. I might as well. It is more likely to bring me success than thinking that I can't. Since I have had almost 30 000 visits without really putting any effort in to it, just imagine what can happen when I do put some effort in! The difference between success and failure is your mindset!

I am definitely going to set myself up for success! I can do it, because I have never tried it before!

Are you setting yourself up for success, or for failure?

Love
Carina

4 comments:

  1. love love this! You are such an inspiration!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Aaaw, thank you! I love being an inspiration, that is one of the greatest compliments anybody can give me! Thank you!

      Delete
  2. What a wonderful quotation, Carina! I really like it, great post! xx

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I know! It's fantastic, I think! I'm glad you like it, and the post! Thank you! xx

      Delete