Thursday 16 June 2011

“Most folks are about as happy as they make up their minds to be.” - Abraham Lincoln

Is this true? I think it is. If you make up your mind and make a conscious choice to be happy, then you will be. But on the other hand, if you make up your mind that you need a certain person, a certain job, a certain thing, a certain house or a certain car to be happy then you never will be. You will feel a bit of joy once you get that person, job, thing, house or car, but that is not happiness. Happiness is being content with who you are and what you’ve got ALL the time. It goes hand in hand with love, that I wrote about yesterday. If you love everything in your life, you will be happy. If you choose to see the bad, less good or lack of things in your life, you are not happy. The only way to be happy is to be happy NOW. The good thing about that is that NOW is always. NOW is where you are right NOW, whenever it is.

In my experience most people are afraid of being happy. I’m not sure why, but it might have something to do with being afraid of losing it once they’ve “found” it. Or maybe it is just safer to remain where they are and pretend that they’re happy. Or what if the people around them will look down on them, or whisper about them, if they would be happy. I think all these things apply for a lot of folks out there. None of them are true though. If you are truly happy you can’t lose it because it comes from within you, it is not easier to remain in a state of false happiness than it is to be truly happy (quite the opposite actually), and people around you WILL look at you differently but they will whisper about how happy you seem to be and they will think about how much they envy you. How do I know all this? Because I’ve been the first one, the one being scared of true happiness, and I am the second one, the one actually being happy.

How did I get there? I made a conscious decision to be happy and I changed the things inside me, to be able to change the things outside of me to get there. If you are completely happy with who you are, and where you are I congratulate you to your wise decision. If you are not completely happy, maybe you need to take a look at yourself and your life and make up your mind where you want to be and be happy with it.

No comments:

Post a Comment